Fast, Lossless, Consistent Data Recovery
Every disaster recovery or business continuity plan aims to minimize data loss and downtime so that an organization can resume normal business operations as quickly as possible. Meeting the specified in these plans requires organizations to implement the best data recovery software possible, given their budget, disaster recovery topology, and other parameters.
The Best Data Recovery Software: Requirements and Challenges
The best data recovery software supports zero data loss (RPO = 0) at any distance and near-zero recovery time (RTO). Although asynchronous replication and synchronous replication have long been the “go-to” solutions for disaster recovery and business continuity, neither of these solutions alone can guarantee these objectives will be met.
Data loss. With asynchronous replication, an inherent lag exists between the data in the primary site and the data in the disaster recovery site. Without Axxana’s Phoenix, this lag is usually unprotected, leading to the loss of transaction data if disaster strikes. Synchronous replication topologies are also vulnerable. Because synchronous replication requires the primary site and disaster recovery site to be in geographic proximity, regional disasters or rolling outages can interrupt synchronous replication, resulting in the loss of valuable data. The best data recovery software ensures zero data loss regardless of replication topology.
Delayed recovery and downtime. When transaction data is lost, data consistency across databases and applications may also be lost. In this case, disaster recovery entails a laborious, time-consuming process of determining what data has been lost and reconstructing application consistency. The longer that recovery and the return to normal operations is delayed—that is, the longer the downtime—the greater the impact to the organization. By ensuring zero data loss, the best data recovery software also ensures application consistency at any given point in time, thereby expediting recovery and minimizing downtime.
Axxana’s Phoenix: Building the Best into Data Recovery Software
Given the challenges described above, many organizations simply consider some amount of data loss to be inevitable during a disaster. With Axxana’s Phoenix, however, organizations no longer have to tolerate a single byte of data loss. Axxana’s Phoenix uses the disaster-proof Black Box and an intelligent operating system (PhoenixOS™) to protect data lag (not-yet-replicated data) during a disaster and safely transfer the data during recovery.
The Phoenix’s special-purpose data recovery software—built in to PhoenixOS and physically protected by the Black Box—ensures that data is protected before, during, and after a disaster, and then transferred to the remote site as soon as possible—regardless of external post-disaster circumstances.
The following features make PhoenixOS the best data recovery software for organizations seeking zero data loss and fast recovery, regardless of their budget or disaster recovery topology.
- Disaster-aware storage – During a disaster, the data recovery software performs a quicker, more generalized type of caching (i.e., aggressive caching) so that it can quickly power down the disks while waiting for communications to be established.
- Efficient communications – PhoenixOS™ switches to a communication protocol that selectively handles data based on power and bandwidth availability.
- Prioritized process scheduling – To cope with reduced power and bandwidth resources, Axxana’s data recovery software optimizes process scheduling to minimize recovery time for higher priority applications versus less critical ones.
- Space conservation – PhoenixOS™ monitors data transfer between the primary and the secondary sites and deletes protected data in the Black Box once receipt at the secondary site is confirmed.
- Optimized computing processes – Axanna’s data recovery software optimizes the use of CPU cores and reduces CPU frequency to minimize power usage during a disaster.
- Automatic detection – Special sensors automatically detect power source failures and communication anomalies so that PhoenixOS™ can respond pre-emptively.
- Smart data pre-fetch – When disaster strikes, Axxana’s data recovery software implements a pre-fetching algorithm that ships the data before the recovery application requests it, thereby reducing recovery time significantly.
- Highest level of security – Encryption and strong authentication mechanisms are used to ensure that only authorized personnel can access the data inside the Black Box.
Click here for examples of how you can use Axxana’s Phoenix to solve disaster recovery challenges within your own organization.